Policy Advocacy is one of Catco Kids main goals that supports our mission “To overcome critical lack of Quality Childcare in Pakistan”. In this context Catco Kids conducted “Focus Group Discussion” on ROI , Socio Economic and Legal Driving Forces Affecting the Establishment of Company Childcare Centers” in collaboration with International Labor Organization (ILO) 2011, focused to raise awareness about the existing laws using a right-based approach for provision of day care centers in Pakistan.
In “Focus Group Discussion” Catco Kids developed various significant recommendations from legislative point of view and focused in implementation of below:
- Child Care Service provision should be made mandatory regardless of number of females or males.
- Appropriate Legislation (Health, Safety, Security concerns included) is required. Existing laws need to be revised and effective implementation strategy needs to be developed to accompany the laws.
- Make the laws applicable on public sector organizations as well (e.g Each Ministry to have onsite childcare centers).
- Health Safety, Hygiene Standards for onsite childcare centers maybe part of Occupational Health & Safety code. Existing inspectors may be used to evaluate the quality of company childcare center against this revised code.
- A National Childcare framework is needed to define the necessary framework (including responsible ministries, agencies, etc).
- Need of licensure for childcare services providers.
- Need to raise awareness about the existing laws and rights especially for women.